Thursday, August 11, 2011

Elkton Volkswalk

“Nestled between the Umpqua River and forested mountains in the Coast Range, Elkton is a progressive town developing into a cultural and historic center. The walk route features an extensive garden with tall outdoor sculptures, a butterfly house, an out-and-back through a forested area along Elk Creek, the town center, and the newly-reconstructed Fort Umpqua along the Umpqua River. Mostly paved surfaces, but some gravel and grassy areas; mostly flat, but a few short hills.”
After reading how the Eugene Springfield Mossback Volkssport Club described this walk it was one I wanted to do. I was sick the week before this walk and probably should have stayed home but I felt better when I woke up Saturday morning so I loaded up Kant, Echo, and foster BC, Whisper, and off we went.
The Start/Finish for this walk was at the Community Center next to the beautiful butterfly garden.
Whisper struggled the first 3 km but then got the hang of walking.
It was so peaceful along the Umpqua River
and Elk Creek.
And the sculptures and
garden were beautiful!!
The dogs did great on this 10k walk but I am not sure they enjoyed it as much as I did. But I was very happy to bring home 3 very tired dogs and I was also a bit tired and enjoyed an afternoon nap.
I would do this walk again; thank you Eugene Springfield Mossback Volkssport Club!!

No comments:

Post a Comment