Monday, January 12, 2009

GREAT WEEKEND – SUNDAY HERDING

The weather today was great for a mid-January day after the horrible weather we had a couple of weeks ago. And it was a perfect day to go herding for the first time in 2009.

We started today working Kant in the 200x300 field with last years baby lambs that do not get worked much. They are great sheep and show exactly where your dog is putting pressure. There was one lamb with too much pressure would turn and confront Kant. So she had to learn to move the other lambs and then stop and let that one decide to stay with the group.

Then it was Echo’s turn. In to the field that about 100x170 with 4 very nice dog broke sheep. Echo’s first step out was a very nice come-by, her better side. She started out a bit fast but settled right down in to work mode. Echo would have a very nice flank and I would think she was going to over flank but she would just catch the sheep’s eye and then fall back in to balance, it was amazing to watch. I am discovering the more I talk to Echo the more I get her worked up; if I do not say much she works incredibly. Echo responds beautifully to the slightest indirect pressure so I am learning to keep my directions and corrections small. When we got done I could not wait for our next lesson; I know I am addicted.

Here are a couple of pictures of Kant driving Echo’s sheep back to their group.

Driving home I was thinking about each of the dogs and their strengths and weakness and what an incredible journey we are on. I would not be on this journey if Lora had not opened Rocking Dog Ranch. Her ability to train herding dogs is incredible. And her methodology of having respect from the dog and respect for the stock and putting pressure on the ground not the dog works beautifully for me and my dogs. I like that she is honest with me and a bit tough on me because she wants me and my dogs to become the best team we can and we will!!

Just a note about the pile of limbs in the front yard, they were gone when I got back from the Ranch. The neighbor had said he was going to start hauling them to his place but I did not expect them all to be gone in the 4 ½ hours I was gone. Pretty soon the mess from the storm is all going to gone and soon forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment