Thursday, April 15, 2010

The end of 2009

Where does the time go…

It is already mid-April and if you looked at my last post you would think we have done nothing since our Bandon trip right before Christmas. But that would not be true!

Christmas Eve
I had to work Christmas Eve but got off a little early to go to Corvallis and make a stop at my friend Anne’s Open House! Anne runs Border Creek Border Collie rescue and I so admire her for all the work she does for those border collies. I have always wanted to help but with 6 dogs of my own my house was pretty full. After we lost Casey in November it made me want to help even more so we decided to foster a dog for Anne. So I brought home Linguini, a five month old Border Collie.

Now off to McMinnville for the family gathering at the Leathers. I am not sure where this past year went but it went fast and I realized that I had not seen any of the family since last Christmas Eve. Kacy and Kaya are growing up so fast and it is so wonderful to see such happy young families!! It was a great surprise to see Salva Jr. (who will always be Baby Salva to me). I spent less time taking pictures this year and more time visiting. I made everyone give me their address and birthdates since I have so lost track of all that information. I am making my first resolution for 2010 to be a better Aunt and Sister!! What a great start to the Christmas Holiday!!


Christmas Day
Christmas was pretty quiet. Jordana is not up before the sun anymore to open presents but she did get up earlier then usual. Stephen came over to open presents with us in the morning before he went with his family. Jordana and I surprised him with a telescope, that had some assembly required but who needs to read directions. I asked and asked Jordana what she wanted for Christmas and it was all practical stuff…a rechargeable battery unit and a bigger memory card for her new camera. And a shadow box of Casey which I did not want to do for Christmas because I knew she would cry and cry she did which of course made me cry. I got something I have wanted for a year since Christmas Eve last year and seeing Suzie’s wall of pictures; I got two black shelves to hang in the hallway for family pictures. I have been collecting black picture frames all year and now I had shelves to put the frames on so I had Dad help me hang them when he arrived. I am thrilled with how it turned out, most of the frames are in need of pictures and I have requested some and am printing others but I did have a few. We had a great day and a good dinner then Jordana had to go to her house sitting job, Dad had to go home, and I had to collapse; which of course I could not do since I had a 5 month old Border Collie that needed to go for a walk. Merry Christmas Everyone!!!
First snow of the year
Almost a white Christmas just missed it by 5 days. It started snowing while I was at work but then changed to rain and disappeared typical for Oregon. Then right before I headed home it started snowing again and continued in to the evening. The dogs LOVE the snow. They would stay out there until they become pupsicles if I let them. Dad called and said he got 5 inches of snow in McMinnville we did not get close to that, ours just barely covered everything. But it was still snow.

2009 ended quietly with just me and a houseful of dogs but it was a Year of Many Changes

2009 started out slow and steady. I decided to start my NADAC judging training this year and headed to Moab Utah in May for my first clinic. Moab was amazing and I had a great time and the clinic went very well and I became a NADAC judge that month. I had my first assignment in January 2010. I am still working for the Oregon State Treasury, 24 years now. And I am still competing in agility and herding with Kant and Echo and we earned several Qs, titles, and awards with great teamwork and fun.

The Graduate!!!!
It seems like just yesterday that we were celebrating Jordana’s graduation from High School and getting her moved to Western Oregon University but it was 4 years ago. She went to WOU to be a teacher but 2 years in to school decided that was not where her heart was. She continued to stay committed to finishing her college education and graduated June 2009 with a Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies (BIS) degree. I can hardly believe my baby is a college graduate. I am so proud of her and what she has accomplished!!

There was no doubt in my mind that she had actually graduated but because she chose not to walk in the graduation ceremony then we had to wait for the diploma to arrive in the mail. It was a very exciting day with that beautiful diploma arrived; I wanted to open it right away but waited for Jordana to come home and be the one to open it.

In October 2008 Jordana got a job at PetSmart as a cashier. Being a cashier she could not sell or deal with the animals so she got trained in Pet Care so she could work with the animals. Before her 6 month anniversary she was promoted to Lead Cashier. Jordana was asked to become a Dog Trainer to cover the maternity leave of the Lead Dog Trainer and Jordana jumped at this great opportunity to do what she thought she wanted to do for her career. Jordana is having a great time teaching dog classes.

What is next? Who knows when you are 23 years old! Right now she is enjoying just going to work, not being in school anymore, and spending time with Stephen.

My hope for her is that she lives each day to its fullest with a smile on her face and her dreams lead the way.

This year was busy, filled with great trips and times with friends and family. Jordana and I are healthy and happy. Our only tragedy this year was losing Casey.

We are looking forward to 2010 and all it brings.

1 comment:

  1. All I can say is....IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!!! Yes, BRING IT ON!!!! Have a great weekend...I'm sure you will blog about it when you get home!

    XO....your fellow blogger.....

    ReplyDelete