Thursday, September 3, 2009

Oregon State Fair – Too Big to Miss

Tuesday, September 1st, I went to work for a few hours and then spent the rest of the day at the Fair with Tammy, my mom, my aunt, Jordana, and Steven. This is the first year in the past 8 years for me and way more then that for WAG that we were not invited to the fair to put on dog agility demos. The fair had a different feel this year and over all I did not like the fair but I had a great time with the group of people that I went with!
After paying way too much to get in to the fair our first stop was to see the baby pigs;
they are always a must to see. The rest of the livestock barn was mostly empty. There were a few sheep and a few horses but no cows or goats. I think we were there between stock but they could have done a better job of moving them in and out.
There were a lot of miniature horses

including a

very cute baby,
a few Gypsy horses,
this baby wanted to smile for the camera,
some draft horses, and a few carriage horses and one carriage mule but no riding horses. After visiting the horses we made our way across the fair to the building that had all the crafts and stuff. There were Lego exhibits,
lots of great quilts, local writers, county booths,
decorated cake displays, and so much more.
I always enjoy looking at all the talent people have and every year I say I should enter some of my scrapbooking, maybe next year!! You can not go to the fair without going through the building that is selling all gadgets and must haves. They want to sell you things that chop and dice and makes juice and does just about everything else for $20, they want to clean your jewelry, and put lotion on you. There are samples to try and magical fixes for your back, feet, knee, neck, wrist, shoulder, and anything else that is bothering you. I got all the way through there and only came out with a set of sheets! After figuring out that we would all enter the horse arena at one door and have lunch in there while watching the horses we all went our separate ways for lunch since fair food is the best and there is something for everyone. I ended up with a hand dipped corn dog
and a char-grilled ear of corn dipped in butter, mmmmmmmmmm! We all enjoyed our lunch while watch the Gypsy horses being introduced, the big draft horses
competing in a course being driven by kids from 15 to 18, and a couple of groups of carriage riders competing.
They were all such beautiful horses and even a pretty cute mule. The draft horses were my favorite;
they are so big and handled so nicely. On our way to look at the flower displays
and gardens we past by Brad’s World of Reptiles. I was just walking by minding my own attention and Tammy said aren’t you going in to see the snakes. I flipped a quick U-turn
and in to the tent we went. I really do not mind snakes I see first or in VERY secure cages, I don’t like them when you are working in the yard and they suddenly move. And I am a bit weary of creatures with no legs, why were they not given any legs. Almost immediately inside the tent my mom noticed a sign hanging from a limb and it said “do not touch the snake in the tree”, the problem was that there was no snake in the tree and my mom checked every inch of that tree. So she stood in the middle of a clearing where she was sure no snakes could find her while Tammy and I had our picture take with a crocodile.
Yes it is real!
To the great satisfaction of my mom and aunt we finally left the reptile tent and went to see the flowers
but not before I had a very quick
touch of a snake, still do not like them.
After one last stop for dessert we left the fair, I got my hand stamped just in case I came back to the fair that night with Jordana and Steven. Which we did, I had missed the earlier Sea Lion Encounter show and kind of wanted to see it and the kids were willing to go back with me. After they saw the picture of Tammy and I holding the crocodile they wanted to do that so we were going to go there first and have our picture taken. When we were on our way through the fair I saw that the Mutton Bustin’ had finally started, I had looked for it earlier but no one was there. Mutton Bustin’ is when kids ride sheep, they put them in a chute like the bull riders, then they open it and off they go. And when I say off I mean the kids fall off the sheep. I laughed so hard, this is the first time I had ever seen it live. The kids and sheep are safe with people in the ring helping, the kids are wearing helmets, and the ground is covered with a foot or more of wood shavings. Too cute!! We watched a couple kids have a blast and then head over for our picture. I quickly realized the crocodile had been replaced with a snake for pictures. I was done. But Jordana and Steven stepped up and had their picture taken,
Jordana was not thrilled but she did it! That was all I could handle of Brad’s World of Reptiles and we headed to the sea lion show.
The Sea Lion Encounter put on an entertaining and educational show. We paid to have our picture
take with a sea lion and a chance to pet and play, I got the kiss, Jordana got to pet it,
and Steven got to play ball with it.
We did have a good time at the fair despite the fact there was no agility!! I would not go back to the fair next year but I NEED to have my picture taken holding a snake…

Thank you Tammy for sharing the pictures you took so between the two of us the whole fair was covered!!

3 comments:

  1. What a great post, I'm glad you had such a fun time, even if the fair was spendy and didn't include WAG in it's festivities...My fav pic is of you and Tammy with the croc..."Never smile at a crocodile, never say hello and maybe stop a while...hum, hum, hum".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picture of the jr.Draft horse drivers.They had a perfect lineup.Not one wagon out of place,better than we old guys do half of the time.The blue wagon nearest in the picture is mine.JDH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jim for finding my blog and enjoying the pictures. We had a great time watching those young drivers do such a great job and they looked like they were having fun! If you would like that picture and any of the other ones I took I would be happy to e-mail them to you. Traci

    ReplyDelete