Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Busy Weekend

Saturday, June 12th my alarm went off at 4am so I could leave for Fido’s Farm in Olympia Washington by 5am to arrive by 8am for the Handler’s meeting and course walk; which I did. And then I had to wait for 6 Level III dogs and 4 Level II dogs to run to get to the 12 Level I dogs. Kant was 3rd from the last. We were herding 30 sheep at this large flock trial and you had 25 minutes to complete the course. A couple of dogs timed out but most of the dogs finished well below the 25 minutes. Kant completed the course in 15 minutes 27 seconds. You were scored on 6 exercises on the course with a total of 90 points available for Level I and II and 100 points for Level III because they have an additional piece to the last exercise. Kant scored 85 out of 90, she did a great job!! There was a cattle dog that ran a couple of runs before us and did a fabulous job and I knew that was going to be the dog to beat but we did not do that this time and got 2nd place; the cattle dog got 86 out of 90 so it was very close. This finished Kant’s Ranch Large Flock Level I sheep title!! You can watch Kant’s run on You-Tube, thank you very much to Dave Vesely for sticking around to watch our run and then offering to tape it. Holding a camcorder, no matter how small, for 15 minutes can get very heavy. And it was about 320 yards to the far end of the field from where Dave was taping. Here is the You-Tube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epnCjo8o8oI
The judge’s comment on my score sheet was “Beautiful run – it was fun to watch your dog work” and I had several people come up to me and tell me how nice it was to see such a great working Sheltie. I am very proud of Kant and all that she gives me! Echo, PITA, and Slick came along for the ride.
Every dog must have his day. – Jonathan Swift

My very best friend, Lee, came over from Prineville to do some shopping in Portland and she stayed Saturday night with me. I barely got back from Washington before she arrived. And of course we stayed up way too late talking. The next day we hung out and got caught up spending a great day together! We did not see each other in 2008 and you would have never known that with the way we just talked liked we saw each other every day. I know I say this every time we see each other but we have to get together more often! The time just goes too quickly. Lee tried to tell me Bradey was driving and bought a car and that Ethan was 12 years old. She tried to prove it with pictures but I still cannot believe it. As she was heading out of town we stopped at Godfrey’s Nursery in Shaw Oregon. Lee wanted a large pot of flowers and boy did she get a great one. I was going to pick up some flowers to fill the last of my pots but I was too overwhelmed so I had to go home and figure out what I really needed and Thursday I will take Jordana back with me to help.

What an outstanding weekend with great herding and even greater time spent with a friend!!

1 comment: