Thursday, February 26, 2009

LET THE RACING BEGIN…

The babies are about two weeks old now and still extremely cute. The little girl with chocolate ears is still my favorite but they are all too cute and fun to watch. They are getting to the age where they are having “lamb races”. All the babies get together in a group whispering to each other and then they take off running across the field, they get to the other side huddle together whispering again, and they take off again. This only seems to happen early morning and late evening and only lasts for a few minutes. You must stop everything you are doing to watch; it is the funniest thing. Lora and I were talking Saturday and she said I needed to come out Sunday morning to watch the lamb races; of course I was there!
After the races were over we got a couple of chores done and then Lora asked if I wanted to work Echo; YES! We have not herded for a long time between the weather, holidays, busy schedules, and lambing. I was ready to work Echo again. We headed into the hogs fuel field that is about 100’x120’ where there were 4 sheep waiting for us. Echo went on a lovely little away outrun and tucked in nicely behind the sheep bringing them to me. She changed directions with very nice flanks keeping good distance off the sheep. We are working on a Stand which Echo is starting to take quicker and then back to work. Echo was responding very nicely to the tiniest correction. There is a tree about ¾ the way down the field right in the middle; we took the sheep around the tree very close and split 3 off on one side of the tree and one with me; Echo went out and tucked those three in to me perfectly and I was in complete amazement. We ended with a good That’ll Do and left one of the best herding days I have had with Echo. THANK YOU LORA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment