Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Echo is expecting!!

It is official, after the ultrasound done last week it looks like there are two puppies!! I am so excited I can hardly stand it! We are going to do an x-ray around day 50 to get a better look at how many skulls and spines there are. I was hoping for more but two is better than none!! They should be here around Thanksgiving!!
I have gained a whole new respect for breeders and for my vet. I did not realize how OCD I was until I bred Echo. Echo has always been a finicky eater and I use her for my treat tester, if she likes them everyone will like it; yes she is a sheltie. So I was worried about her eating enough to support the puppies. Echo ate incredibly well for exactly one week and then went back to her old ways so I started scrambling an egg to mix with her breakfast and cooking hamburger to mix with her dinner. Echo seemed to really enjoy that and got very good and picking out the good stuff and spitting out all the kibble, even softened kibble, soften with low sodium chicken broth not just water. So after rolling her eyes several times my vet said 3 things: quit reading the internet but all that information is right at my fingertips; quit cooking for Echo she needs something more balanced then all that protein but she likes it; and quit worrying dogs have been doing this for years but not MY DOG. Of course I am listening to my vet and doing everything she said to do which is very easy since she told me to do nothing and I am struggling with that! My friends are checking in with me to make sure I am okay since they have not seen me for a while; I don’t want them to see how crazy have an expecting dog has made me. And we still have almost four weeks:-)
This weekend I really noticed Echo is finally getting a puffy belly. She is very tired and has gone back to licking her bowl clean. She is also very clingy; I love this little dog so much. And she is so cute!!

No comments:

Post a Comment